With my nineteenth birthday right around the corner (June 20th) I have begun thinking a lot about what all has happened this past year of life. I started college at ETSU, I got my first retail job, I decided on a major and minor (basically declared my entire future), and a whole lot in between. Needless to say, it has been a pretty crazy year. There were lots of ups and downs, but I definitely learned a lot. Now as my next year of life approaches I figured it would be good to reflect and make a list of everything I have learned in my 18 short years of life.
1. Don’t be afraid to reach out and talk to new people.
2. Curly hair is a gift and not a curse.
3. Simple acts of kindness can have the biggest effect.
4. Nobody else is judging you harder than you judge yourself, so stop worrying.
5. Don’t spread yourself too thin or you’ll break.
6. Putting ice in milk makes it 1000x better.
7. Music heals all pain.
8. Something positive will come out of every negative situation if you just give it time.
9. You have to tell people how you feel about them before they disappear from your life.
10. Bananas go with every meal.
11. If you want to succeed you have to give it everything you’ve got.
12. Hold on to what your passionate about and don’t let it go, or else you will regret it.
13. Naps are horrible. They just make you more tired and feel awful!
14. It pays to be early.
15. Pets are the best because they are always there when you need them most.
16. Don’t skip classes. I know it’s tempting, but don’t. Trust me.
17. Slow down and enjoy each day.
18. God is good all the time.
Nineteen seems to be an awkward year where you’re making all of these adult decisions, but people don’t always recognize you as one because it’s still a “teen year.” But, here’s hoping this will be my best year yet (it’s gonna be tough because this time last year I was at Disney. Starting at a disadvantage!)