Christmas and new years have come and gone and the start of another semester is looming close. The last semester, to be specific! I’ve finally reached it. Five classes and two exit exams stand between me and my Bachelor of Science in Media and Communication. It’s an exciting time but one where reality is also setting in! While it’s easy to get swept up in the fun things like graduation day festivities and cap decorating, I also have to put a heavier focus on post-grad job opportunities and where I want to see myself living and working.
Luckily for me, I have a lot of support and help from amazingly talented people to help me get through the big stuff. I already have people looking over my resume and LinkedIn to make sure those are looking good, and I’m soaking in all the advice that people can give me. I feel like I have a good sense of where I want to be after graduation, but I’m trying to really lean in on what God’s telling me to do. The right doors will open if I’m brave enough to turn the knob!
As always, I think it’s important to set some goals as I head into a big season of life. It can be easy to get swept up in the busyness of it all, so I want to keep myself in check.
- Make the Dean’s List one more time. I’ve been able to consecutively make the Dean’s List for the last four semesters, and I’m not about to let senioritis (which is very real) ruin that streak.
- Only miss class for illness or job interviews – although, a needed mental health day can be granted. I did a good job this past semester with not missing classes, but it was easier because I only had two days a week of classes. This semester I’ll be on campus every day. I have a big lecture class for the first time in a while and I don’t want to fall back into some of the freshman year habits of skipping those where it won’t be noticed. I’m such a verbal learner that it really makes an impact on my performance when I’m not in class.
- Drink more water! I’m constantly dehydrated, and some of my meds are a cause of that. I need to be more conscious of drinking water and staying hydrated so I don’t get headaches or sick to my stomach.
- Enjoy being in the moment. As much as I’m preparing for the future, I need to remember to stay present. This is the semester of a lot of “lasts” and I don’t want to look back at the semester regretting missing out on something.
- Be more aware of my mental health. It’s no secret that the last 6 months have been a struggle for my mental stability. I’ve started developing insomnia thanks to anxiety and overall feeling a lot more paranoid than normal. I think it could be one of the big triggers of my abdominal issues. I want to build healthy mental habits for myself that will hopefully sustain as I continue going through a bunch of changes within the next few months. Overall, I think it would just be healthier for me in the long run. I’ve debated even going to counseling just to help process everything that will be going on to help better suit myself for all that’s to come.
All in all, I’m really excited to start the semester. I’m ready to get back into a scheduled rhythm and see some a lot of my friends that I’ve missed over break! Here’s to the final one. Let’s do this!
❤ / Bailey