HIYA, PALS! I’m currently wrapped up in a fuzzy blanket with my cat under the blanket with me, laying next to a space heater, and watching DCP vlogs while snowmageddon 2018 is hitting East Tennessee. It’s a pretty great way to spend a Sunday if you ask me. I am thinking lots today about the Disney College Program as the semester of school has come to a near end and I now have time to think about it more! I’m super excited as I’m a little over a month away from moving, and realizing I should probably start getting myself more prepared.
One thing that I’ve felt lingering anytime I mention to Disney College Program is, why am I doing it? It’s something that I ask myself (because self-doubt looms within me so I have to talk myself down from thinking I’m making a bad decision) frequently. This is a complex question and one that I can probably talk about for hours, so to save myself and you reading this some time, I’ll make the answer into a list!
- I LOVE DISNEY. I’ve always been a fan of Disney! From the movies to the music to the parks I love it all. For my 16th birthday trip I chose to go to Disney World, I begged to go there for a day for my 18th birthday, and it truly is just one of my happiest places on earth. To be able to spend every day there for four months, learn more about it, and get to be a part of the magic is just a dream come true! Plus, who wouldn’t love getting to go to the parks every day? I haven’t been since Pandora opened at DAK or Toy Story Land in Hollywood Studios, so I am thrilled to get to finally explore those.
- Let’s talk about a resume boost. This experience is a huge resume booster for anyone who participates. Disney is such a major and strict company that upholds you to such high standards, so to work there prepares you for work pretty much anywhere.
- Networking and career enhancement opportunities! To be completely honest, I would absolutely love to work in advertising and public relations for Disney one day. As I am getting closer to graduating, I’m starting to get a lot more career focused and thinking more about what exactly I want to do post-graduation. My focus right now is more on the PR event planning side of my major, and to be able to plan events/launches for Disney would be incredible. Hopefully, while I’m on the program I can meet a lot of people in the industry and learn from Disney professionals in my career field.
- I need to be on my own. That may be a little dramatic, but it’s true. The rest of the maturing I need to do before graduating from college and entering the “real world” needs to be done outside of my comfort zone. I feel like I’m very mature for my age, but need to take that final step out of my parent’s house, and why not move 10 hours away from them! I need to face my fear of being alone and out of my norm in order to have a life changing experience.
- This life is short, I want to make some memories! That sounds like a movie quote but I’m not sure from where and I’m too lazy to google it (if you know where it’s from, let me know). This experience is bound to be chock full of amazing memories and friends made. I’m not often the type of person to go on an adventure alone like this, but I was to push myself in order to make the most of this amazing life I’ve been given!
I hope this may have answered some of the questions people have been asking me as to why I’m doing to Disney College Program. I don’t feel like I have to answer anyone’s questioning of me doing this program, but I also want to think it out for myself. I love my life, my friends, and my school now, but they’ll all be here when I get back! Hopefully, some of them can come to visit me too. I can’t wait to make Disney World my home.